What is the SEND Code of Practice?

The SEND Code of Practice is statutory guidance for organisations that work with and support children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. 

Useful Links:

SEND code of practice: 0 to 25 years – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Local Offer Birmingham | SEND Advice and Information

Access to Education (birmingham.gov.uk)

1. What kinds of Special Educational Needs does the school make provision for?

Mayfield has approximately 310 children and young people on roll, aged between 3 and 19, all of whom have and education, health and care plan (EHCP) due to special educational needs and disabilities.

Mayfield meets the needs of children who have:

Moderate Learning Difficulties,

Severe Learning Difficulties,


Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties.

Many of the children have other additional needs and medical complexities.

2. How does the school identify and assess Special Educational Needs?

All students at school have an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). 

3. How does the school know how much progress is being made by pupils with Special Educational Needs?

All our students are base line assessed on entry to school using our Get Real curriculum. 

We then have systems in place for recording data, target setting and tracking progress. Targets are set and progress measured in line with National Expectations. 

Students also have Individual EHCP targets that have specific teaching time on the timetable and are embedded throughout. These targets are shared with parents/carers and are reviewed and updated termly. 

There are regular Parent’s Evenings, reviews of milestones and annual EHCP reviews. Judgements on progress are closely monitored by the Senior Leadership Team and Strand Leads through regular lesson observations, learning walks, scrutiny of lesson plans and students’ work in order to monitor progress and implement timely interventions.  Staff meet to moderate work termly and monitor progress.  Parents and carers are also able to arrange meetings at other times to discuss progress.

4. Does the School have a Special Educational Needs Coordinator, if so who are they and how can someone get in touch with them?

As a Special School all school staff are aware of the requirements to meet the needs of students with SEN. If you have any questions or inquiries, please contact the school

5. What training do the staff in school have in relation to pupils with Special Educational Needs?

All of our teachers and support staff are experienced at working with students with SEND and we have staff that are trained in a wide range of strategies including TEACCH, intensive interaction and Makaton. Students with specific needs are supported by key staff who have a range of qualifications.  All staff who are new to the school receive induction and training.  Throughout the year we have a schedule of CPD training for all school staff in order to develop our provision in relation to school priorities.  Staff are also encouraged to take responsibility for their own professional development by identifying training opportunities wherever possible.

6. How does school get more specialist help for pupils if they need it?

Within school we have access to a team of external professionals who can offer specialist advice, these include our Occupational Therapist and the school nurse and doctor. We work very closely with all professionals as well as parents to ensure we offer the best provision. We will also involve other agencies as appropriate, such as the Educational Psychologist and Forward Thinking Birmingham in order to help support students and develop staff skills through Inset training and the implementation of specific strategies.

7. How are parents of children and young people with SEN involved in the education of their child?

We aim to foster effective partnerships between home and school in all areas of our students’ development and offer several opportunities for parents and carers to come into school. Parents and carers are invited in for Annual Review and EHCP transfer meetings and termly Parents Evenings. 

Students have a Home School diary to inform parents and teachers of events that may occur on a daily basis. 

School Safeguarding Newsletters are sent home every half term and parents receive text messages informing them of forthcoming events and appointments.  Our Pastoral Team also holds regular parent meetings in school offering parents and carers the opportunity to meet key members of staff and discuss any issues or concerns they may have. We aim to meet with parents and carers as often as necessary in order to ensure that they are happy with the education their children are receiving.

8. How are pupils with Special Educational Needs involved in their own education?

Wherever possible we try to involve our students in their education by encouraging them to participate in EHC Plan/ Statement Review meetings, whether that is by talking to them outside of the meeting to ascertain views or by them taking part in the meeting themselves. Targets are negotiated and reviewed regularly with the student wherever possible so that they are actively involved in self-assessment activities. We have an active School Council where members are elected to the Council by their peers and they meet regularly to discuss school matters and make decisions about school improvement.

9. If a parent or a child with SEND has a complaint about the school, how does the governing body deal with the complaint?

Parents and carers are encouraged to contact the school in the first instance and speak to the Head Teacher as we will always try to resolve things by working together. It is rare that a resolution is not able to be achieved, but should this happen then the complaint is referred to the Chair of Governors (IEB) following the schools’ Complaints Procedure.

10. Who are the support services that can help parents with pupils who have special educational needs?

SENDIASS are available to support parents and carers, offer advice and help to facilitate school visits.  SENAR are the department within the Local Authority who manage the assessment process.  

There are a range of parent support groups in Birmingham offering support and guidance, and if parents or carers require further support or advice then we can suggest other appropriate agencies or organisations. 

Additionally the School Medical Service, Forward Thinking Birmingham (previously CAMHS), Children’s Social Care, The Family Support Service and Occupational Therapy offer support to our families on referral.

11. How can parents find the Birmingham Local Authority’s Local Offer? Birmingham Local Offer  – https://www.localofferbirmingham.co.uk/